Pasta with Bechamel - Family Central Edmonton Episode for Telus Optik Local TV

I'm pushing my catch up week to next week!  (No, I'm not procrastinating but, yes I can agree that it does defeat the point of catch up week!)  

But I have to!  My 2nd segment for Family Central show on Telus Optik Local TV is up!


My kids and I sat down to watch it and two remarks came out of their mouths.

First:  I mention in the segment "...my kids have no idea that there is no cheese in this...".  My daughter screams out "Mooooom!  I heard that! So you are lying to us?" To which I answered "No, you just never asked!  It's a milk sauce."

Second: "Where is the cat? She's the star of the show!"  In the first episode, the camera cut to my white and black cat and my kids laughed hysterically and re-watched that part over and over. They weren't even interested in seeing the rest of that episode, it was all about the cat. I asked them what they thought of me and if I did well.  "You're OK Mom, but Pixie is awesome!"  I tell you, if it wasn't for Mother's Day, I'd get no love in this house!


I make this recipe often and I prefer it (and honestly so do my children) to the mac n' cheese from the box.  What is great about this recipe is that the time it takes for you to boil the water and then cook the pasta, you have the bechamel sauce made.  No additives and extra artificial colors or ingredients that you get with the boxed version which makes this mama happy.


Weeknight meal - Diced chicken, broccoli with whole wheat pasta

And don't think this is just for the kiddies!  Here I have rotini pasta with chicken and broccoli used as add-ins.  Quick and easy meals that can be dressed up or down, to your liking.

Recipe for the segment with ham and peas as add-ins is below!

...

Macaroni with Bechamel sauce
"Macaroni without the cheese"

serves 4


2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
3/4 tsp salt
200g (4 servings) whole wheat macaroni pasta

Add-ins( if you prefer)
2 cooked ham, diced
2 cups peas

Cook the whole wheat pasta per box instructions.

Melt butter in a frying pan, add flour, mix and cook under medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes. 

Slowly whisk in the milk gradually. Stir occasionally, bring to a simmer and cook until it thickens up, about 8-10 minutes. 

Add salt. Add drained pasta, serve. 

If using add-ins, mix in ham & peas until combined. Serve.



Share:

0 comments